Who We Are
Farley Street is a 107-year-old, missionary Baptist church in Waxahachie, TX.
We are a conservative, Bible-believing and teaching family church. Our worship style is blended, in a multi-generational context. We are affiliated with the Baptist Missionary Association of America.
In 1912, a small group of people met under a tent on the grounds of the Texas Baptist Home for Children at 629 Farley Street for the purpose of organizing a Missionary Baptist church. In March 1913, Marvin Street Baptist Church was organized with six charter members. W. J. Johnson was called as the first pastor. In November of 1913 the young congregation purchased two lots at 111 Farley Street and a year later moved a building onto the property. The name of the church was changed to Farley Street Baptist Church. From 1913 until 1941 the church had thirteen different pastors.
In March 1941, the church called L.H. Raney to be their pastor. On his first Sunday, attendance in Sunday school was 69. In 1944 a brick auditorium was erected, and in 1946 a masonry educational building was added. During the next ten years the church grew and bought the lot at 600 E. Marvin. In 1962, the church dedicated a new 600-seat sanctuary and educational building. The new facility contained a total of 15,505 square feet. Church member Jerry West built a beautiful organ for the new church. In 1972 a new 12,000 square foot educational annex was added to the facilities.
In December of 1966 Jack McDaniel was called as pastor. In 1974 the church added a 12,000 sq. ft. education addition. In 1985 Farley Street voted to establish a new congregation four miles north of the city. Farley Street provided the land and facility for Heritage Baptist Church, and sent over 50 members to the new congregation. Jack McDaniel announced his resignation to the church as pastor in 1988 after 22 years of service.
Kirk Shelton was called as pastor in 1989. During Kirk's ministry, the educational buildings were remodeled and the AWANA ministry was begun.
In March 1993, Farley Street called Richard W. Smith to be pastor. He began an aggressive program to assimilate the membership into ministry. In 1994 the church purchased ten acres on Brown Street with plans to relocate. In November of 2008 we moved into Phase I of our new facilities (currently the Family Life Center, nursery, and children’s ministry area). Phase II was completed and dedicated in 2014 (the Worship center, offices, music suite, and classrooms).
God has blessed our church family in great abundance throughout the years. Hundreds of people have come to trust in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. A sister church was started. New facilities have been built. Farley Street continues to be a place where God’s people can grow in their relationship with Him and serve others. To God be the glory!